09 August 2010

22: SoCo Austin

I had to do a separate post on SoCo (South Congress). This was the most delightful place I have been to and I highly recommend this to everyone visiting Austin. I was just looking for good brunch places in Austin and came across the South Congress Cafe which had a really unique menu. We decided to check it out and boy am I glad we did. When I got out of the car on South Congress Avenue, I was truly amazed. The street is lined with boutiques, funky "junque" stores, restaurants, pizza places, neighborhood bars and coffee shops. You will find the most unique and weirdest of things here. From art and antiques to retro clothing...I just could not get enough of this place.
 
On Saturday and Sunday there is also an Artist market, where I came across Joseph of JJworldstudio. He had some brilliant photographs of Austin and other places he had travelled to. I loved all his photographs and I ended up buying 3 of them.
 
Also met Megan of Plain Pigeon who creates these amazing terrariums and planters. She also sells her work on Etsy. I could not resist buying a brachiosaurus planter....just loved how unique her work was..
 
The store that needs a special mention is "Uncommon Objects" an incredible collection of antiques and everything weird and amazing. http://www.uncommonobjects.com/
 
This round of shopping was followed by an amazing brunch at South Congress Cafe. The long wait (nearly an hour) to get a seat was worth it. Had some yummy Bloody Marys and food. A must try for brunch in Austin.
 
 All in all SoCo is a must see in Austin. I would go back there over a weekend just to spend time in SoCo.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails