19 July 2010

7: Finger licking Good Comfort Food


Both my sweetie and me have been feeling a little under the weather since yesterday...And all I could crave for today was hot dal, rice and ghee...and my sweetie thought making 'dosakaya' (yellow cucumber) dal would be just perfect. I have never made this before. But I think when one can make tomato dal, dosakaya dal should be no different. I decided to just improvise on the go.

I had 2 yellow cucumbers which I peeled, cut and cleaned the insides and then cut into small cubes. I then pressure cooked toor dal with green chillies and half the cut cucumber and half a tomato. Heat oil/ ghee (I use ghee for the flavor) and add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, curry leaves and 1 garlic clove. Then add finely chopped half onion, add a pinch of salt and fry until onion is lightly browned. Add the remaining cucumber cubes and fry until the cucumber turns translucent. Then add the cooked dal and salt to taste and bring to a boil. I add a spoon of ghee and some fresh curry leaves at the very end for taste.

I also made a quick and easy aloo-tomato sabzi. Pressure cook 2 large potatoes. Heat oil and add cumin seeds, green chillies and 1/2 onion (finely chopped). Fry until onion turns brown, then add tomatoes and 2 tablespoons of coriander powder and fry until you do not have any solid pieces of tomatoes in the mix. Then add the boiled and diced potatoes and fry for 10 minutes. Garnish with chopped coriander and a hint of lime juice.

I must say, there are two happy and content stomachs in the house today...

P.S: A little fact about Dal I did not know until recently, the term Dal is a Sanskrit word which means "Split"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails